We had a brief scare at work this week. An employee’s pet tried to scarf up some mushrooms in her yard, which led to a discussion of how awfully poisonous some mushrooms can be. Mushroom poisonings aren’t terribly common in our area, thankfully, but it’s something we always have to consider as a possibility when a pet comes in sick for no apparent reason.
Mushroom toxins can come in many forms. There are a LOT of toxic fungi out there! Rather than go through the whole list of stuff in excruciating detail, there’s a really simple rule. Don’t let your dog eat mushrooms outside.
The penalty for a mistake can mean death to a family pet. Liver failure, neurologic signs, coma, kidney failure, blood clotting disorders… need I say more? You can read more about mushroom poisoning syndromes at this link.
The one really awful group of mushrooms to watch out for is the Amanita family. They can be all-white (Destroying Angel) or have a red or yellow or brown cap. There’s a red-capped one shown below.
And, as a reminder about how toxic this mushroom is, check out the comic.